25 September, 2018
How are you all doing? I am sure you are enjoying the recent weather changes as much as I am. If you have been following my blog, then you must have noticed by now, that I have been talking about the weather in every other post. Well, I must say this year the weather changed more than my mood swung. Though I am not a fan of monsoon season because it limits my travel, but as soon as this season ends, I am probably backpacking. This is the final year of my college and I really want to walk down on the roads that are less travelled. There are definitely a few things in my mind, one of which is solo travel. Being the youngest member of the family has as many cons as pros, trust me. Being the youngest, I am being pampered the most. And I love all the attention until I make my solo travel plans. When I am backpacking alone, I honestly want all the attention and care to take another tangent. What do you think? Will my parents allow their most beloved child (especially if you are a female) backpack alone? If you are an Indian female, I would say don’t even bother to ask. It’s like you are asking the Sun to rise up from North and set at South. Complete 360° turn. It took me two years to convince my parents and sister to let me travel alone all by myself. I mean, I could really use some me-time.
As much as travelling alone looks exciting, it is scary on some levels too. Considering a person like me who has been spoiled with too much love, I score myself negative in organization skills. I am careless, I need Google Maps everywhere, I leave stuff behind and I forget to charge my phone every now and then. Now, these are some not so impressive points when you trying to persuade your parents. Instead, my parents would ask my sister to cling to my back and follow me everywhere. I completely enjoy her company and her organization skills could really be put to a good use here. She is everything that I can never be, organized, extra-careful, cautious, always keep on her toes and completely adaptive. You really feel like walking with Google Assistant if you travelling with her. But to my utter dismay she really does not like the idea of being a babysitter in the entire trip and honestly, if you look at her face, you will feel like she is going to unleash a fireball on you anytime soon. Now, all I want is to travel solo with a companion who has got all those skills that my sister has, lol xD.
I started by reading blogs on how to make friends as a solo traveller and I came across articles that definitely put some serious stress on staying in hostels. Though it is a good idea to stay in hostels that are comparatively cheaper than hotel rooms, I failed to understand, how staying in hostels will help you connect with like-minded people. I agree you totally get to meet new people and you can strike a conversation with them and you might end up travelling to a few spots together. But there is no way that you can predict how well and enjoyable this trip will become with them. Some do suggest to enroll in day tours but these tours are home to so many different people. Again striking a vibe has a low probability. After spending a few hours searching for other possibilities, I came across an app called Xoxo Tours. Xoxo Tours is a social networking app that allows travellers to connect with like-minded people who share the same travel interests as you do. And you get to check your compatibility way before the trip starts so that your trip is a thrilling experience and you end up with beautiful memories that will last a lifetime. All you have to do is sign up in the application, fill in all your details including your interests and the places you want to travel. Additionally, you can also choose to become a Travel Buddy for someone who visits your city. You can charge for offering your services or become a volunteer, it’s up to you solely. This Travel Dating App can truly be the solution to all my solo travel problems.
Here are 5 reasons that Xoxo Tours is one-stop solutions for all your solo travel problems:
1. You can find your Travel Companion before you even get started with the trip. You can chat with your to-be Travel Friend and know him/her well in advance. If you are too afraid to accompany a total stranger to the trip, you can check him/her out on his/her other social media handles. Any person with the wrong intention will try not to reveal much about him/her. You can also go one step ahead and validate by pinging on his/her social media handle. A trip with a person who shares the same interests as you can become a lifetime experience.
2. Now since you have a travel companion, you can pre-decide and divide responsibilities between each other based on skill sets. Like if I am not organized, I would really find someone who is good at planning things and instead, I will become the photographer for the whole trip.
3. Since you a travel buddy now, your parents can be assured that you are not a lone wolf anymore and you can enjoy your trip and be independent for a while. If your parents are like mine and would want a background check on the person you are travelling with, provide them with his/her complete details including his name, email, contact number, picture and all other details that you have.
4. With this app, you can also volunteer to be a travel buddy for someone. So, you actually do not have to travel to another place for a thrilling experience or to know someone. You can take him/her on a city tour and get acquainted with them. Thereafter, you can plan other trips together.
5. You can make a friend for life. In today’s world, where interactions are limited to Whatsapp groups and Facebook Messenger, having a friend with whom you can trot the globe is a total bliss.
Before you leave, here are few things that you need to look out during the trip to stay safe while travelling solo.
1. Do not spill the beans about each and everything of your life on your first trip. Only reveal information that is completely necessary and could not be used against you. Avoid conversations that allow the other person to know about your family background and financial stability.
2. Drink to enjoy and not to get wasted. While drinking too much should be avoided while you are on a trip whether solo or with someone. In this case when you have just started to know someone, drinking too much is not the best decision.
3. I would strongly recommend you to stay socially active on the go. In this way, your friends and family will know the places you have visited with your travel buddy.
4. Always keep a tab on your valuable belongings. Staying vigil is of no harm even if you completely trust the other person.
5. Don’t fake yourself. One of the silliest things that most people do when they introduce themselves to someone is portraying a better image of themselves by faking things. Now it could really get you in some serious trouble if this act goes south.
I hope these tips will help you plan your next solo-not-solo trip. If you have any suggestions or tips that you would like me to add on this, put up in the comments section below. Also, let me know if you would like to go travel dating to find your soul travel mate. Amigos, keep enjoying the weather and plan your next trip with Xoxo tours.
Until next time,
26 March, 2020
31 October, 2019
04 August, 2019
01 August, 2019
31 March, 2019
09 February, 2019
07 February, 2019
06 February, 2019
24 January, 2019